No worries = You're welcome?

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Hi,
I purchased a website script a week ago and the author, who is from UK, went far and beyond to make sure that every problem and requirement I came up with during the configuration was solved and addressed.
I left a message in the forum thanking him for modifying the script to my liking. He replied with "No worries". His response stuck out to me as I usually take "No worries" to mean "don't worry about it". Have "No worries taken on the meaning of "you're welcome" or "Thank you"?

• Rasdor

English - Southern England
    Yeah, it's quite an informal way of saying "you're welcome". It doesn't, atleast in my experience, mean "don't worry about it". I think in most situations, people just say "don't worry about it" or "don't mention it" in that context. But all of the four - "you're welcome", "no worries", "don't worry about it" and "don't mention it" are pretty much interchangeable.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It seems to be used in exactly the same way as "No problem," which is a more casual way of saying "You're welcome":
    A: Thank you for your help!
    B: No problem.

C: I am very grateful for what you've done.
    D: You're welcome.

E: Thanks!
    F: No worries.

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    It doesn't, at least in my experience, mean "don't worry about it".
    I think it does: "Sorry mate, I broke your shovel", "No worries". I see it as the exact equivalent of the commonplace BE "No probs". So although both have been generalised to mean 'you're welcome', the underlying meaning is still very much valid and in use.

< Previous | Next >