Noah's Ark wrecking

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I am sure you already understand what "Noah's Ark" means.

"Wrecking" is the present participle of "wreck", in the sense of a ship (like Noah's ark) running aground and breaking to pieces.

A similar idea could have been expressed by "It was like Noah's ark crashing", or "it was like Noah's ark exploding", but "wrecking" is a more natural word to use in connection with a boat or ship such as the Ark.

Copyright

American English
    Noah's Ark was meant to save the animals. In this instance, it was like the Ark hit the rocks and doomed the animals -- as on a shipwreck.

Actually, I'm just speculating -- this isn't the best quote I've ever heard from someone and find it slightly odd, especially for National Geographic. Since it's their "news" section, perhaps much of the material comes from other sources.

suzi br

English / England
    It is a metaphor based on the biblical tale of a man named Noah who saved animals during the flood in a ship called an ark,

When ships go aground it is known as a ship-wreck. In this case the ship is Noah's Ark. If Noah's ship was wrecked lots of animals would perish, as they have in this sad tale form Ohio.

suzi br

English / England
    Oh, three of us at the same time! I agree with Copyright it does not sound very smart as a comment on the situation.

Copyright

American English
    Oh, three of us at the same time! I agree with Copyright it does not sound very smart as a comment on the situation.
    Picking up from GWB's thoughts, it's always possible the original quote as ""It was like Noah's Ark wrecking," and maybe "Noah's Ark wrecking" was just chopped out of the full sentence and plugged into the reporter's account.

< Previous | Next >