Nobody is going to believe that a file that important just got lost.

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
Hi GUYS! I've been watching "Suits" and i have a question.

In S2 E5, Donna was about to commit a crime by getting rid of a memo that is very important evidence of a certain lawsuit. But Ross caught and kept her from doing that. He was trying to talk her out of it, saying "You should just tell Harvey that you found the memo that you did not know you have had until now." And she said "Nobody is going to believe that a file that important just got lost."

In what she said, "a file that important" is grammatically correct?? At first, i thought "a file that is important just got lost" was correct sentence but accidentally "be verb" was omitted between that and important. But I saw this sentence from Netflix. They can't be wrong, can they? And if something was omitted in that sentence, "be + that" should be omitted together, i guess. I never saw this kind of weird "noun+that+adjective" form in my life. Could someone help me, please?

• tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    "Nobody is going to believe that a file that important just got lost."
    Understand that sentence as:
    "Nobody is going to believe that a file (that/which is) that important just got lost."

The underlined 'that' could be replaced by 'so or 'very''.

Definition of that (Entry 5 of 5)
    [...]
    2: VERY, EXTREMELY —usually used with the negative
    did not take the festival that seriously— Eric Goldman

Definition of THAT

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
    "Nobody is going to believe that a file that important just got lost."
    Understand that sentence as:
    "Nobody is going to believe that a file (that/which is) that important just got lost."

The underlined 'that' could be replaced by 'so or 'very''.

Definition of that (Entry 5 of 5)
    [...]
    2: VERY, EXTREMELY —usually used with the negative
    did not take the festival that seriously— Eric Goldman

Definition of THAT
    Oh my gosh!!!! Yes, that's right!!! Why didn't i think of it like that? I thought it was just a conjunction so far. I have a long way to go haha.... Thank you so much!! Now i can go to sleep without any concern. :)

The Newt

English - US
    It's correct. "That important" is functioning as an adjective modifying "file." Another way of saying it would be "Nobody is going to believe that so important a file just got lost."

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
    It's correct. "That important" is functioning as an adjective modifying "file." Another way of saying it would be "Nobody is going to believe that so important a file just got lost."
    Oh, thank you The Newt! I should keep that in mind! "That" can be functioning as an adjective modifiying noun. And thank you for letting me know another way of saying it! :)

< Previous | Next >