nobody would argue that...

Haroon

Arabic-Egypt
Dear all
Reading the following context:
Most people like to leave work and meet friends for happy hour, do some grocery shopping, or hit the gym for a workout. But nobody would argue that Silicon Valley's top executives are "most people."
I could not figure out the meaning of the second sentence.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,

I suggest: ولكن لن يقول أحد أن كبار مديري "سيليكون فالي" هم "معظم الناس" or ولكن لا يمكن أن يقول أحد أن ...

Arabic_Police_999

Banned
    arabic
    Dear all
    Reading the following context:
    Most people like to leave work and meet friends for happy hour, do some grocery shopping, or hit the gym for a workout. But nobody would argue that Silicon Valley's top executives are "most people."
    I could not figure out the meaning of the second sentence.
    any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    َما كان لأحد ليجادل
    ُلا أحد يجادل
    ولا جدال

Last edited:

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    This would give the opposite meaning. Saying that لا أحد يجادل/لا جدال أن مديري سيليكون فالي هم "معظم الناس" would mean that they are "most people", which is not what the English sentence is saying.

Arabic_Police_999

Banned
    arabic
    This would give the opposite meaning. Saying that لا أحد يجادل/لا جدال أن مديري سيليكون فالي هم "معظم الناس" would mean that they are "most people", which is not what the English sentence is saying.
    sorry but how does that contradict the English sentence

و لكن لا أحد سيجادل بأن مديري سيليكون فالي هم معظم الناس"
    in the English sentence " " are used to indicate the meaning
    and in the Arabic sentence it does too

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    The way I understand the sentence is that those executives are not what can be called "most people", they're unique, special, they're very rich and maybe also powerful, so they cannot be compared to "most people". They don't have time to "leave work, meet friends for happy hour, do some grocery shopping"...etc.

Hopefully a native speaker will let me know if I misunderstood the sentence.

jack_1313

English - Australian
    No one would argue that... = no one would put forward the idea or argument that...
    لا يجادل أن = no one would dispute or contest that...

As the others have said, the meanings are actually opposites.

< Previous | Next >