Nobody's master, nobody's servant

HKK

Dutch/Belgium
Hi everyone,
there are two Dutch sayings that I like very much, but being idioms, they cannot be translated literally. I would like to hear if there are any Arabic sayings or idioms of which the meaning corresponds to what I want to say.

Second one:
Niemands meester, niemands knecht / 'Nobody's master, nobody's servant'
This one is pretty much what it says, it's about not being bossy over others but at the same time keep one's own independence.

If any set expressions exist in Arabic which have the same meaning, I would love to hear those. If not, an elegant version of the message would also be much appreciated. Once again, I'm not really interested in a direct translation if the message is not easily understood from it!

Thanks a lot,
David

ps: I copy-pasted from my other thread because they're related issues, which I would have asked together if that were not against forum guidelines.

• Jihaady

Arabic-Egypt
    Hello,

I think you can say: كل واحد يخدم نفسه
    but I think it is colloquial.

HKK

Dutch/Belgium
    Hi Jihaady! Thank you for your reply.

Your sentence means 'Everyone serves himself'. Even though the meaning is pretty close, I think it sounds more negative. If I understand it right, it's more of a translation for 'Every man for himself'. I don't want to say that I will not help anyone or that I think only about myself. Just that I will not be a servant at the bidding of a master. Kind of like how in Islam, one bows down only to God, not humans.

HKK

Dutch/Belgium
    Thank you all for your replies. Cherine, your suggestion sounds nice and even though it's not a set expression, I think everyone would get the point :)

Moon-light, thank you, but you may have misunderstood the thing I said about Islam. I did not mean to imply that I was a believer. So it would be inappropriate to refer to myself as a servant of God.

Masjeen, your suggestion is not exactly what I meant to say but it is also very true :)

< Previous | Next >