noch eher... als

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
Hi.
I hadn't seen this combination before: noch eher... als:

"Ein Verurteilter, der kein Geld und keinen Einfluß hat, erwartet seine Hinrichtung mit gleicher Sicherheit von den Beamten wie vom Beil; »bei allen Freiheitsversuchen arbeitet er noch eher gegen Stein und Eisen, als gegen die unbeugsame Natur der ersteren (Hume)«." Mauthner

Is it a comparison in which all terms are equivalent in intensity? Or is there a discrepancy?

"... in all freedom attempts he works/struggles against rock and iron even more/ even harder than against the inflexible nature of the former..."
or
"... in all freedom attempts he works/struggles against rock and iron as much/ as hard as against the inflexible nature of the former..."

?

• ayuda?

»bei allen Freiheitsversuchen arbeitet er noch eher gegen Stein und Eisen, als gegen die unbeugsame Natur der ersteren (Hume)«." Mauthner
    Several suggestions and variations:
    1.) In all attempts at freedom, he prefers to work/struggle against rock and iron rather than/sooner than the inflexible/unyielding /unbending nature of the former…

2.) In all attempts at freedom, he would prefer to work/struggle against rock and iron rather than /sooner than the inflexible/unyielding/unbending nature of the former…

3.) In all attempts at freedom, he would rather work/struggle against rock and iron than the inflexible/unyielding/unbending nature of the former…

Note: It seems here that noch is just a sort of Denkwort, not really having a lot of meaning.

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
    rather... than, I see!
    I was focusing rather :)D) on the combination "noch eher" than in that of "eher... als".
    It's perfectly clear, thanks a lot.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    I do think there's a meaning to noch: It reduces the likelihood of the alternative to zero, actually rules it out altogether, and thereby renders eher meaningless. We don't have a comparison of two options which are both possible and possess different degrees of likelihood as we normally do with ​eher, but one hypothetical option has effectively ceased to be an option.

Ich mache noch eher A als B means I certainly won't do B. If anything, I'll do A.

This is substantially different from Ich mache eher A als B, where a comparison of two possible options with different degrees of likelihood is presented.

He may revolt against stone and iron yet certainly not against the former's unrelenting nature [i.e. of the officials].

bearded

Standard Italian
    Hallo
    Ich möche mich vergewissern: in unbeugsame Natur der ersteren ist der ersteren Genitiv Plural und nicht Weiblich Genitiv Singular, denke ich.
    Deshalb würde ich empfehlen 'nature of the former ones', weil 'the former's nature' missverstanden und mit einem Singular verwechselt werden könnte - bei einem so komplizierten Satz.

Last edited:

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
    Hallo
    Ich möche mich vergewissern: in unbeugsame Natur der ersteren ist der ersteren Genitiv Plural und nicht Weiblich Genitiv Singular, denke ich.
    Deshalb würde ich empfehlen 'nature of the former ones', weil 'the former's nature' missverstanden und mit einem Singular verwechselt werden könnte - bei einem so komplizierten Satz.
    Sure. I've done that in Portuguese already, where there is no ambiguity: primeiros (Maskulin Plural) X primeira (Feminin Singular)

< Previous | Next >