Nomad/nomadic

< Previous | Next >

Ve_eero

Italian
Hi everyone!
Could someone tell me when I’m supposed to use “nomad” and “nomadic” as adjectives?
For examples if I’m talking about “life”, “heart” and “soul”? Is it right “nomadic soul” or “nomad soul”?
Thanks!

• heypresto

English - England
    Welcome to the forum. :)

Please give us a complete sentence in which you would like to use 'nomad' or 'nomadic', and tell us in what situation you'd say it.

e2efour

UK English
    Welcome to the English forum, Ve_eero! :)

The dictionary lists nomadic as an adjective.

Nomad is not an adjective, although it may function as an adjective when followed by a noun.

Whether it would sound ok is another question. It would depend on your sentence. :)

Ve_eero

Italian
    I don’t remeber the sentence perfectly but it was something like this “She can’t stop travelling and no place was called home. She has a nomad/nomadic soul.”

The Newt

English - US
    I don’t remember the sentence perfectly but it was something like this “She can’t stop travelling and no place was called home. She has a nomad/nomadic soul.”
    One problem with "a nomad soul" is that we would be likely to hear it as "a nomad's soul," because of the initial s that follows it.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "... She has a nomad/nomadic soul.”
    Both work. The difference is the construction:

1. She has a............nomad..................soul. -> She has the type of soul that is associated with [the life of a] nomad
    ...................noun acting as adjective...noun

2. She has a...nomadic....soul. -> She has the type of soul that constantly travels.
    ...................adjective...noun

Of the two, and in a poetic context, you should use 1.

< Previous | Next >