nominated, confirmed, appointed

< Previous | Next >

Packard

USA, English
Context:

There is much talk currently about the next U.S. Supreme Court justice. The media has mentioned that President Obama "appointed" two Supreme Court Justices (Sonya Sotomayor and Elena Kagan), and that President Trump wants to appoint Brett Kavanaugh.

The President does not actually appoint a Supreme Court justice, he nominates one. The Senate Judiciary Committee holds hearings and then the full Senate votes on the confirmation.

Question: If the President nominates and the Senate confirms, then who appoints?

(I think "appoints" is just a handy word that represents the process, and it not really in play.)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Confirmation by the Senate allows the President to formally appoint the candidate to the court.
    Appointment and confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia

President: "I nominate (suggest) PaulQ as Supreme Court Justice - he's gonna be huge, folks - huge."
    Senate: "OK, We think (confirm) that is a good idea."
    President: "OK - I will appoint PaulQ."
    [later]
    President: "PaulQ, you're now one of the Supreme Court Justices."
    PaulQ: "It is no more than America deserves, Mr President."

And the rest is history...

Packard

USA, English
    Appointment and confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia

President: "I nominate (suggest) PaulQ as Supreme Court Justice - he's gonna be huge, folks - huge."
    Senate: "OK, We think (confirm) that is a good idea."
    President: "OK - I will appoint PaulQ."
    [later]
    President: "PaulQ, you're now one of the Supreme Court Justices."
    PaulQ: "It is no more than America deserves, Mr President."

And the rest is history...
    The sad part is that I (an American citizen) had to learn this from a British subject. I should have known this to start with.

< Previous | Next >