nominative or objective case?

SweetMommaSue

USA
USA/American English
Hello fellow foreros!:D

I have two sentences here which I believe I analyzed correctly. Would someone care to check and let me know how I did?:rolleyes:

Thank you so much!
Sweet Momma Sue

**1. The newest member of the team was (her, she).

The verb "was" is a linking verb that is connecting the girl/woman to the subject, "member". Therefore we are dealing with a predicate nominative, in this case a pronoun. The nominative case of the pronoun is she. So, the answer looks like this:
=> The newest member of the team was she.
Invert it and it still makes sense: She was the newest member of the team. Actually, to my ears, it sounds much better this way!

**2. The medical-research grant winner was (he, him).

Once again, there is the linking verb "was" connecting the guy to the subject, "winner". It's a predicate nominative: he.
=> The medical-research grant winner was he.

• Brioche

Australia English
    If the sentences were in Latin, the nominative case would be used.
    So your analysis is correct.

I would say that ending sentences like these with a pronoun is not "normal" English.
    It sounds very affected.

In ordinary speech, you might say
    The newest member of the team was Mary Mallowan.
    or
    The medical-grant winner was Bill Bloggsworthy.
    and use a noun at the end of the sentence.

SweetMommaSue

USA
    USA/American English
    Thanks guys!

I agree with you, Brioche--those are not normal sounding sentences at all! I'd never talk like that! I guess this is more of what ffb and cuchu call contrived sentences! Well, they do make one think, though.

Perhaps I should take a Latin course. . . so many people say how much it helps their English grammar. . .

Thanks again! I appreciate your help!

Sweet Momma Sue

< Previous | Next >