Nominative sentence:A flash of lightning

Verra

Belarusian
Hi everybody,

A flash of lightning, an overwhelming passion, a breathtaking love...

Is it possible to use such a sentence in English?

Could you please recommend some information on nominative sentences in English.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Verra.
    A flash of lightning, an overwhelming passion, a breathtaking love...
    To me, this is a series of phrases. It's not a sentence.

Is it possible to use such a sentence in English?
    You can certainly use phrases like those in a sentence.

Could you please recommend some information on nominative sentences in English?
    What do you mean by "nominative sentences", Verra? Are you referring to sentences that name something?: This mammal is a manatee.

Verra

Belarusian
    They are also known as nominal sentences ( I don't know yet the difference between nominal and nominative) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_sentence

Nominal sentences in English[edit] Nominal sentences in English are relatively uncommon, but may be found in non-finite embedded clauses such as the one in, “I consider John intelligent,” where to be is omitted from John to be intelligent.
    They can also be found in newspaper headlines, such as "Jones Winner" where the intended meaning is with the copular verb, "Jones is the Winner".[7]
    Other examples are proverbs ("More haste, less speed"); requests ("Scalpel!"); and statements of existence ("Fire in the hole!"), which are often warnings.
    A sentence such as "What a great day today!" is for example considered nominal because it doesn't have a verb.

Verra

Belarusian
    Is it possible to say it in such a way:

A flash of lightning, an overwhelming passion, a breathtaking love – everything is possible

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for the source, Verra. I agree with those writers that such sentences without verbs are relatively uncommon in English. I don't care whether people call these constructions "sentences" or some other term.

A flash of lightning, an overwhelming passion, a breathtaking love – everything is possible.
    This sentence is normal. You begin the sentence by providing us with examples of things that are possible. You follow this list of examples with a simple remark - everything is possible. You don't have to use a verb for every noun phrase that you used in your examples. The verb "be" in your sentence is enough to call it a normal sentence.

< Previous | Next >