Non è giusto che mi comporti male proprio con lei

< Previous | Next >

theartichoke

English - Canada
Hi everyone,

This should be simple, but I'm scratching my head between "it's not fair" and "it's not right." And then, the proprio.

The speaker is a chambermaid who's writing in her diary when she should be working. She ends a diary entry by saying that she still has rooms to clean, her co-worker Katia is waiting for her, and lei non lo dice perché mi è amica, ma da un po' di tempo sto battendo la fiacca. Non è giusto che mi comporti male proprio con lei. That's pretty much it for context: the entry ends, and a new one begins about something else altogether.

Not only "giusto" but "proprio" is puzzling me here: I'm not sure what "proprio" is stressing, though it seems to be an acknowledgement that the speaker is behaving badly in general (she's been flirting with guests, drinking stolen wine with one of the cooks, etc.) but knows she shouldn't let her co-worker down.

So: She doesn’t say so, because I’m her friend, but I’ve been slacking off for a while now. It would be unfair to treat her badly / It's not right to behave badly towards her / It's not fair to behave badly towards her, too. :confused: As I write this out, I'm leaning toward the last one, but your thoughts would be welcome!

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Small point/doubt. Can you, in fact, say "to behave badly towards someone"?
    Would you use "with" instead? That's what I had at first, but it seemed ambiguous, as if they'd behaved badly together ("misbehave with her" sounded even worse, in a suggestive kind of way :D). Or would you skip the "behave" part altogether and opt for some version of "treat"?

I hadn't thought of Paul's idea, that the "proprio" just refers back to how Katia has been nice to the speaker by not mentioning how lazy she's been. An italicized her could do the job, in any case.

..... to her of all people
    Thank you Joan, I have updated my vocabulary with it :)

but it might be stretching the meaning of "proprio" a bit. :confused:
    I'm not quite sure here. Proprio here has a specific meaning of "why me/you/us/them among all the people in the world?"

"Why me?" in Italian becomes "perché proprio io?"

"Did you really have to crook me of all people" dovrebbe diventare "tra tutte le persone dovevi fregare proprio me? (che ti sono sempre stato amico/che ti ho sempre fatto del bene)"

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    ..... to her of all people (that's the most natural-sounding phrase)

but it might be stretching the meaning of "proprio" a bit. :confused:
    I don’t think it is. This is exactly the phrase I immediately thought of when I read the sentence. I think it’s perfect. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >