non-binding assumption

stcopy

Chinese
When I solve a math problem, I make an assumption at the beginning, but the assumption has not been used for my solution.
Could I call this assumption 'a non-binding assumption'? I want to say that it wont change my solution even if I drop off the assumption.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I would probably call it an unnecessary assumption. We talk of the 'necessary' and 'sufficient' conditions for a result.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    If your conclusion doesn't depend on it, it seems to be an assumption you decided not to use. Rather than an assumption you could drop, it is truly an assumption you did drop.

Therefore it is no longer part of your math solution/proof, and there is no term for it (within the math solution/proof).

How (and whether) you can mark the assumption this way within a specific class assignment depends on the conventions used in your school.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    When I solve a math problem, I make an assumption at the beginning, but the assumption has not been used for my solution.
    Could I call this assumption 'a non-binding assumption'? I want to say that it won't change my solution even if I abandon the assumption.
    I know "non-binding" only as a legal term. It wouldn't make sense to me here.

< Previous | Next >