non-contracted oil

< Previous | Next >

L-lina

Russian
"non-contracted oil"
How do you describe in one phrase oil or gas that has been produced but for which no contract has been signed? Someone (in another discussion) suggests "non-contracted oil (gas)" but google brings but a handful of links with the phrase...
The context: country X claims that if an international pipeline between it and country Y is built, this would enable X to increase its oil (gas) deliveries to country Y. However, there is some doubt that country X would have enough "non-contracted oil (gas)" to keep this promise.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Unsold" would be my first guess. Though I don't know if it is used in this context, "uncontracted" could also be used.

You could use "non-contracted," so long as you first explain precisely what you mean.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I think it would be helpful to see the source: could you do that?

However, I also think that "non-contracted oil (gas)" would arise when, for example Country Y agrees to buy 100 TWh of gas a year, but it turns out that Y actually needs 112 TWh - the 12 TWh would be uncontracted. There is no contract for that supply and it is bought on the open market.

Uncle Jack

British English
    In ordinary English, you don't need any term: There is some doubt that country X would have enough oil/gas to keep this promise.

The argument does not make sense without numbers. Increase its deliveries by how much? Even the tiniest amount would be an increase.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Free-market or open-market occur to me.
    Open-market might work, provided perhaps that there is some prior explanation that it is oil destined for sale in the open-market. Of course, that assumes that there is a good likelihood that it will be eventually sold in the open market, as opposed to held as a reserve, for example.

Looking at the original text, I might almost suggest the simpler "spare oil."

< Previous | Next >