non-oil-developing countries

Virginie

Belgium, French
Hey :)

I'm posting this thread because i'm in the process of translating a book for a thesis, and i would like the opinion of English-speaking people.

Right: i have to translate "non-oil-developing countries".
As i wasn't really sure how to do it, i searched for its meaning on eurodicautom: the only thing that was found was "non-oil developing countries", which means developing countries which do no produce oil.

But i was wondering whether the dash between "oil" and "developing", might change the meaning of the term? Wouldn't that mean "countries that do not produce oil", be it developing countries or other countries?

Hope my question makes any sense :D

• Kelly B

USA English
    I would understand non-oil-developing countries to mean countries which do not develop oil. This sounds odd. With you, I assume that develop means produce.

I'm not sure. Wait for other opinions...

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    "non-oil-developing countries" suggests, as you think that the countries are ones which have oil resources but are not developing them.
    I'd be happier with "oilless developing countries" - even though it is clunky and unattractive.

Perhaps you might be advised to consider coining your own notation to cover the situation, which you could introduce in an opening paragraph and then leave it to your readers to handle when they come across it. Something like.....

In the following chapter I will be comparing the fortunes of many developing countries. For reasons which will become obvious I have divided them into those with oil resources (+or) and those without oil resources (-or).

Country ..................... population ............ gdp

Qwertystan (+or)...........3,400,000............$43.21
    Asdfgiland (-or)............12,345,678..............12.34
    Rep. of Zxcvbn (+or)......9,876,543................0.21

... and so on.

In that way it will be easier for your readers to see the import without having to constantly grapple with unwieldy concepts like non-oil developing.

Hope you find the idea useful.