Non posso aspettare altri vent'anni

macforever

Italian
Ho rivisto un'amica, che vive in una città lontana dalla mia, dopo vent'anni. Le vorrei mandare un messaggio nel quale scrivo:
"Come sempre, mi ha fatto piacere vederti. Ad ogni modo, non posso aspettare altri vent'anni prima di incontrarti nuovamente".
"As always, it was great to see you. Anyways, I can't wait another twenty years until I meet you again"

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi macforever - I don't know about "ad ogni modo" in italiano, but "anyway" doesn't hit the right tone for me. ("anyways doesn't sound right, maybe it's BE?) Not sure I can explain it. I think you can leave it out or just begin the second sentence with "And I can't wait....." Maybe others will have suggestions for a substitution.

macforever

Italian
    Thank you Joan.
    Incidentally, "anyway" with the S is considered slang and is a part of nonstandard, colloquial or informal English.

Einstein

UK, English
    I thought "anyways" was American slang! But we don't need it, with or without the "s".

Rather than "until I meet you again", I'd say "until we meet again".

PS I find "as always" a bit out of place if your last meeting was 20 years ago. I don't know what to suggest...

rrose17

Canada, English
    I like MoltoMahler's and might suggest what sounds most natural to me would be something like
    Anyways it was great seeing you, as always, but let's not wait another 20 years to do it again!

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I thought "anyways" was American slang! But we don't need it, with or without the "s".

Rather than "until I meet you again", I'd say "until we meet again".

PS I find "as always" a bit out of place if your last meeting was 20 years ago. I don't know what to suggest...
    I also thought ‘anyways’ was American slang and don’t like the ‘as always’ in that sentence. :)

It was so great to see you! (I hope it’s not)/(Let’s not wait) another twenty years before we do it/this again is what I might say in this situation.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >