non-profit, not-for-profit

• Awatoufa

Arabic
    Yes I knowthe meaning!!
    The problem is that i found in one document a non profit organization and in another not-for-profit organization and I'am not sure whether the first or the second is true

suma

USA
    English, USA
    There is some difference.
    Non profit = 0 profit is generated
    Not-for-profit = some profit may be generated but profit earning is not the stated mission of the org.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I disagree. Non profit and not-for-profit are synonyms. "Profit" may always be generated, however the point is that all the money goes back into the organization and not into the pocket of the president of the organization.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I feel confused is there any proof for what is said !!
    thanks
    Well, if you go to http://www.not-for-profit.org you will find despite its web address ("not-for-profit.org") it is called the Nonprofit Resource Center.:D

But if you require an authority:

Oxford English Dictionary:

"not-for-profit":
    orig. and chiefly U.S.

adj. (and adv.) Designating an organization, corporation, etc., which does not operate for the purpose of making a profit.

n. An organization, corporation, etc., which does not operate for the purpose of making a profit.
    "non-profit"

orig. U.S. Of, relating to, or designating an organization, corporation, etc., which does not operate for the purpose of making a profit; non-profit-making

orig. and chiefly U.S. A non-profit-making organization
    I've worked in non-profit before. The two terms are synonyms.

< Previous | Next >