Non si crearono rapporti così stabili da non cedere..

freetofly

Italian-Italy
Buongiorno,

dovrei tradurre la seguente frase:

"Tra i due popoli, nonostante la fitta rete diplomatica, non si crearono dei rapporti così stabili da non cedere sotto la pressione dei continui stravolgimenti militari"

Il mio tentativo:

"Despite the dense diplomatic network, the two peoples did not establish such stable relations that they did not collapse under the pressure of the continuous military upheavals"

Ho qualche dubbio sulle parti in grassetto:
1) people o peoples ?
2) alternativa "..so stable.." ?
3) alternativa "..relations not to collapse.." ?

Grazie in anticipo per i vostri suggerimenti.

R.

• HalfTaff

English - UK
    Or you could say: "...did not establish relations capable of withstanding the presusure ...".

And "peoples" sounds good to me.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Another option: "the two peoples/populations did not establish relations sufficiently stable as to withstand the pressure...."

Whether "peoples" or "populations" is best would depend on whom we're talking about. Certainly not "two people," though: that's due persone. :)

freetofly

Italian-Italy
    Grazie per i vostri suggerimenti.
    Nella traduzione pero' vorrei mantenere il verbo "collapse", quindi prendendo spunto dalle alternative proposte, tento la seguente:

"the two peoples did not establish relations sufficiently stable, such to prevent their collapse under the pressure..."

Vi suona bene..?

Grazie,

R.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    "the two peoples did not establish relations sufficiently stable, such to prevent their collapse under the pressure..."

The "such to" (or even "such as to") doesn't work, I don't think, with "sufficiently stable." You could maybe do "....relations stable enough to prevent them from collapsing under the pressure..." or perhaps "....relations stable enough as to not collapse under the pressure...".

The negative "not collapse" is harder to work gracefully into the sentence than the positive "withstand," but if you need to keep "collapse," one of the above options should be okay.

freetofly

Italian-Italy
    Grazie ancora per il vostro contributo.
    In the end, I opted for "theartichoke's first suggestion:

"..the two peoples did not establish relations stable enough to prevent them from collapsing under the pressure.."

I quite like it..thanks:)