non-stop vs. never end

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
If you pick a fight with that guy, I am sure "the fight will be non-stop" or "the fight will never end".

Are they both correct? If so, which one is more common? Thank you!

• Andygc

British English
    What do you want it to mean? That you won't pause for breath, or that you will continue until one of you is dead?

Juhasz

English - United States
    Confusingly, something that is "non-stop" almost always ends. Airline flights are often described as "non-stop," but this does not mean that they circle the globe forever. It means that between the city where you board the plane and the city you eventually want to reach, there are no other stops. If a movie is a "non-stop thrill ride," it does not mean that the movie is thrilling and it never ends; it means that during the movie, the thrills never stop.

A non-stop fight might describe, as Andygc proposes, a fight in which the combatants never pause during the fight. It will eventually end, however.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Confusingly, something that is "non-stop" almost always ends. Airline flights are often described as "non-stop," but this does not mean that they circle the globe forever. It means that between the city where you board the plane and the city you eventually want to reach, there are no other stops. If a movie is a "non-stop thrill ride," it does not mean that the movie is thrilling and it never ends; it means that during the movie, the thrills never stop.

A non-stop fight might describe, as Andygc proposes, a fight in which the combatants never pause during the fight. It will eventually end, however.
    Thank you all. I think I just want it to mean "the fight will never end", which means even if someone wins but the loser will come to revenge.

< Previous | Next >