non vorrei mancare di rispetto

< Previous | Next >

maxpower

Italian
Come tradurreste la frase:
Non vorrei mancare di rispetto a nessuno, ma credo che la colpa sia dei genitori.
My try:
Without any lack of respect (??) to anyone, but I think the parents are the ones to blame.

Any suggestion? Grazie :)

• brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    In particular, if it's the person to whom you're talking that you don't want to disrespect, then you can say: "With all due respect, ..."

neuromatico

English (Canadian)
    Brian, that was my intuitive translation, just from reading the sentence.

Alex, I don't mean to slight you by saying this, but "slight" is not as rarely used as you attest. I'd say it's fairly common, although not colloquial.

Last edited:

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I said 'here in England', and considering that use of language is probably about 80% colloquial, much much higher than that of formal language, and inside the normal every day language 'be disrespectful / offend' are extremely common, my reccomendation still stands.

What you find through searching on the net has the disadvantage of being heavily in the 'formal' texts and is not a good way to find an objective conclusion.
    If we do take these 3 things "to be disrespectful / offend / slight", slight is by a massively huge margin the least used word, this was what I wanted to put across, so that learners can get a good view of the best words to learn and memorise for certain things. That's why I mentioned it, I'd never ever use 'slight' with family or friends, and it would sound very odd, even in work, talking in more formal situations I'd never say it, I can't remember the last time I ever heard it, and if I did, like others, it'd come across as a formal word to use, it would just sound weird, even on English TV (in a non-formal setting)...

I think I need to explain that I'm always conscious of the best things to learn for new students (because I'm studying to teach English) and I place a lot of stress on making sure the best language is learnt first, the most common, then adding more complex layers of other possibilities, and to me I just thought, given the context of the question, a separation has to be made so that the learner doesn't learn and use "slight" 95% of the time, because as we all would agree, that's not good advice as English-speaking natives.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >