nonacademic discipline

baranbanoo

Persian-Iran
Hi everybody
I was reading the book "A Preface to Philosophy" by Mark Woodhouse when I encountered this sentence:
Philosophy has the edge in equipping you for a variety of nonacademic disciplines and in many cases can help you advance within your chosen career
I have looked up the word "discipline" in the dictionary and it means an academic subject or major. So what is nonacademic discipline? How could it be a discipline when it's not academic?

• Agiii

Polish
    The author probably wants to say that philosophy equips you with life skills or/and develops your analytical, critical thinking skills, which are not academic disciplines per se, but which are helpful in advancing one's career.

baranbanoo

Persian-Iran
    The author probably wants to say that philosophy equips you with life skills or/and develops your analytical, critical thinking skills, which are not academic disciplines per se, but which are helpful in advancing one's career.
    What do "life skills" have to do with "discipline"?
    I do not think your explanation fits the sentence, but thanks anyway

Retired-teacher

British English
    "Non-academic disciplines" could be taken as a contradiction in terms. The writer may not have wanted to say "non-academic subjects" or "non-academic things" as that might seem derogatory.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It seems to be not uncommon:

Committee Membership
    The committee includes members from a range of academic and non-academic disciplines.
    SSH IDREC, CUREC
    The Bauhaus was not an institution with a clear program. It was an idea. It was the first college of visual arts in which the social distinctions between the traditionally academic and non-academic disciplines were abolished and all categories of visual art were parts have equal value in a complete whole.
    Bauhaus
    It would include practical rather than theoretical skills, no doubt.

< Previous | Next >