None of these blessings do I take lightly:

Cholo234

American English
<<None of these blessings do I take lightly: I could just as well now be paying $15 more/month for Internet usage, and be in bed with a cold, listening to the usual Christmas fare.>>

The sample sentence, which I wrote, sums up some of the good things I experienced during this Christmas season, and I think there's a fairly close relationship between the first clause and the subsequent clauses. In this situation, a semicolon could be used, couldn't it?

A colon can also be used, can't it?

Does anyone prefer the colon over the semicolon or vice versa?

"The semicolon suggests the close relationship between the two statements. (The relationship is commonly one of cause and consequence.") (Strunk & White)

"The colon . . . is used to amplify, restate, explain." (Porter Perrin)

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    None of these blessings do I take lightly
    This seems to refer to some previously mentioned blessings. To provide a proper example, you would have to include that earlier sentence.
    A colon can also be used, can't it?
    I find it strange: nothing that follows the colon appears to be related to "blessings". A colon usually introduces an expansion, explanation or list, etc., of what precedes it.

lingobingo

English - England
    I agree. I would never use a colon as a substitute for a semicolon.

Note that “$15 more/month” is not acceptable in that sort of text. You need to write it as “$15 more per month” (or “a month”).

< Previous | Next >