Nor am I saying

Jezus9

Dutch
I've heard American people say before 'Nor am I saying' however when I search the term 'Nor am I saying' on Google nothing pops up, is this term correct or did I hear it wrong and should it be 'it's not that i'm saying'?

• Qualityservant

English-USA
    The structure is "neither x nor y" in the negative. In the positive it's "either x or y." "Nor am I saying" is correct as a fragment using a form of "to be.". For example, I can say, "I am not saying it's true; nor am I saying it is false." It employs two negatives. "It's not that I'm saying" is also a correct fragment but used a little differently using a negative and then a positive. For example, I can say, "It's not that I'm saying it's true; I'm just saying it's not false." Note how the clauses use the same structure.

bennymix

I've gotten lots of hits for similar expressions,

"nor am i staying"

"nor am I marrying"

====

"nor am i leaving"

Shelly Bell - I am not leaving the DC area nor am I... | Facebook

https://en-gb.facebook.com/SheThePoet/posts/590913294290118‎

I am not leaving the DC area nor am I leaving the DC Poetry Scene.

=====

Running Through the Streets of Paris | Jesus was a nomad, hence ...

parkerhall.wordpress.com/2011/11/.../running-through-the-streets-of-par...

Nov 16, 2011 - ... swift justice taken upon yours truly, nor am I running away in sheer terror from the sight of Nazi soldiers marching under the Arc de Triomph, ...

ADDED: I got 7 million hits for 'nor am I saying.' Here's a typical one.

Against Common Sense: Teaching and Learning Toward Social Justice

books.google.ca/books?isbn=0203870069

Kevin Kumashiro - 2009 - ‎Education

I am not saying that teachers are not professionals, nor am I saying that teaching should not be a profession. I am saying, however, that we need to trouble the commonsensical notion that....
    ===
    Note the structure is as Swiss Pete said, above.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >