nor night unhallow'd pass / hath done

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by alejoga1, Sep 27, 2007.

1. alejoga1 New Member

Colombia Spanish
    hi

i am totaly lost

let me know the meaning of this: " let never day nor night unhallow'd pass, but still remember what the lord hath done"

thaks for you help

2. Iararo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    Hath (v.) = tercera persona del inglés antiguo del verbo [have]
    Unhallow: profanar

3. Niners12 Senior Member

San Jose, California
    English (American)
    As it's clearly poetry, it's always opened to interpretation, but to me, the author is saying that "you shouldn't ever let a day pass without appreciating it, always remembering the work that God has done".

4. Niners12 Senior Member

San Jose, California
    English (American)
    Careful: "to unhallow" doesn't exist and isn't used as a verb; "unhallowed" is an adjective meaning not hallowed (worthy of religious veneration) or consecrated

5. Ich verstehe die Sprache New Member

English
    The quote is a line from a play: Shakespeare's Henry VI. The King makes this statement to a man, formerly blind, who has gained sight. Hallowed means prayed over.

For those who are looking for the meaning of the line after hearing Mrs. Kim quote it: remember that Mrs. Kim has believed Lane's affections to have been previously unrequited. It's funny to think of her saying, subtly, to this boy, now proclaiming his crush on her daughter, "Now you can see!"

I couldn't help snicker at a former post, "As it's clearly poetry, it's always opened to interpretation," for so many reasons. It's a line from a play and neither the playwright, nor the character who spoke the command, were leaving much open to interpretation. Also, I'm sure many poets would hope that anyone unable to understand their work not allow their imagination to run entirely amok.

6. onbalance

onbalance Senior Member

United States
    English - United States
    La primera cláusula es ambigua. Como otros foreros ya te han sugerido, la segunda cláusula se traduciría algo como "pero todavía acuérdate de lo que el Señor ha hecho (por ti).

Tal vez la expresión entera se traduciría como: Aún si te portas de una manera recta, todavía te tienes que acordar de lo que el Señor ha hecho en tu beneficio.