nor night unhallow'd pass / hath done

alejoga1

Colombia Spanish
hi

i am totaly lost

let me know the meaning of this: " let never day nor night unhallow'd pass, but still remember what the lord hath done"

thaks for you help

• Niners12

English (American)
    As it's clearly poetry, it's always opened to interpretation, but to me, the author is saying that "you shouldn't ever let a day pass without appreciating it, always remembering the work that God has done".

Ich verstehe die Sprache

English
    Careful: "to unhallow" doesn't exist and isn't used as a verb; "unhallowed" is an adjective meaning not hallowed (worthy of religious veneration) or consecrated
    The quote is a line from a play: Shakespeare's Henry VI. The King makes this statement to a man, formerly blind, who has gained sight. Hallowed means prayed over.

For those who are looking for the meaning of the line after hearing Mrs. Kim quote it: remember that Mrs. Kim has believed Lane's affections to have been previously unrequited. It's funny to think of her saying, subtly, to this boy, now proclaiming his crush on her daughter, "Now you can see!"

I couldn't help snicker at a former post, "As it's clearly poetry, it's always opened to interpretation," for so many reasons. It's a line from a play and neither the playwright, nor the character who spoke the command, were leaving much open to interpretation. Also, I'm sure many poets would hope that anyone unable to understand their work not allow their imagination to run entirely amok.

onbalance

English - United States
    hi

i am totaly lost

let me know the meaning of this: " let never day nor night unhallow'd pass, but still remember what the lord hath done"

thaks for you help
    La primera cláusula es ambigua. Como otros foreros ya te han sugerido, la segunda cláusula se traduciría algo como "pero todavía acuérdate de lo que el Señor ha hecho (por ti).

Tal vez la expresión entera se traduciría como: Aún si te portas de una manera recta, todavía te tienes que acordar de lo que el Señor ha hecho en tu beneficio.

< Previous | Next >