noray / bitas

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by thosecars82, Feb 6, 2018.

  1. thosecars82 Senior Member

    Is there any word to specifically describe the bollards displayed on the attached pictures 1.jpg and 2.jpg?
    In Spanish there is a different name for each.
    1.jpg: noray
    2.jpg: bittas

    I think the bollards of picture 2.jpg are called bitts in English.
    Nonetheless I wonder whether there is any specific word in English to call the bollard of picture 1.jpg ("noray") so that it is possible to tell only by means of the word that gets used, the kind of bollard we are talking about. Otherwise, if there was not such a word besides the generic word bollard, I wonder how it is possible to tell without further context a bollard understood as "noray" from one of the bollards belonging to a pair of bitts.

    Thanks in advance.

    Attached Files:

    • 1.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
    • 2.JPG
      File size:
      37.1 KB
  2. inoinocenciaino

    inoinocenciaino Senior Member

    Spanish - Spain
    Como nadie te contesta, buscando en un diccionario náutico especializado:
    Puedes usar una de esas opciones para distinguirlo de la bita de proa;
    que efectivamente es otra cosa, confirmado por el Oxford:
    que dice lo mismo que la RAE:
    ¡Un saludo!

Share This Page