(Norooz) celebration or...?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by A-friend, Dec 1, 2013.

1. A-friend

A-friend Senior Member

Tehran
    Persian (Farsi)
    I wonder if you let me know for the following example which one of the following choices work the best:
    Example: Every year Iranian families gather together at Norooz………….and celebrate this day happily.
    a) celebration
    b) party
    d) ceremony
    ----------------------------------
    Note: Nowrūz (Persian: نوروز‎, IPA: [nouˈɾuːz], meaning "[The] New Day") is the name of the Iranian New year in the Persian calendar.[16][17]Nowruz is also referred to as the "Persian New Year".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz
    ----------------------------------
    Source: I have written this example myself.
    I think “a” works the best.

2. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Why would you want to use "celebration" and "celebrate" in the same sentence? I would use none of the choices (which are all slightly different in meaning anyway). One option would be to say: "...gather together on Nowruz to celebrate ..." If Nowruz is regarded more as a period of time, rather than one day, I'd say "at Nowruz"; just as we say "at Easter" and also "on Easter Sunday".

3. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hi A-friend, Obama's speechwriters talk about "celebrating" Nowruz ("As you and your families come together to celebrate Nowruz" - source: whitehouse.gov) so if this is a language exercise and you must have a word in the gap, I think you need "celebration", and it needs an article: a celebration, what kind of celebration? A Nowruz celebration (or "which particular celebration? The Nowruz celebration".)

If this is something you are writing in your own words, you can simply say:
    Every year Iranian families gather together at Norooz and celebrate this day.
    You don't need happily, if you're celebrating, you're happy by definition.

"Party" might also be acceptable, but different cultures have different concepts of what "a party" is.
    I don't think it's a "ceremony", but I'm not qualified to judge.