Norwegian: å trene

Harrythegiraffe

Chinese
hello, å trene in the dictionary is described as an intransitive verb and in all the examples from the dictionary å trene is followed by a preposition. but why å trene spinning then? this sentence is from a norwegian textbook called god i norsk.
C29EA5A8-F5F5-4E9A-B0B5-03B8324F2CEF.jpeg

Attachments

• 454BE494-716C-47AB-9933-E9335355BFD2.jpeg
    454BE494-716C-47AB-9933-E9335355BFD2.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 21
  • winenous

English - British
    Firstly, trene isn't always intransitive. En kan trene andre personer, as given in an example in this dictionary:
    Ordbøkene.no - Bokmålsordboka og Nynorskordboka

But that does not explain the example you gave. I'm not a linguist, but there spinnning seems to function more as an adverb than the object of the sentence - it describes or modifies the verb. Thus, in your example the usage is intransitive.

raumar

Norwegian
    Winenous is right in pointing out that "trene" is used transitively when it means "to train somebody else". That is also made clear in NAOB, which seems to be Harry's source:
    Det Norske Akademis ordbok

Having said that, I have to disagree with the dictionaries - they don't seem to keep in touch with the development of the Norwegian language on this point. "Trene i slalåm" (Bokmålsordboka) and "trene i løping" (NAOB) seem strange to me, and "trene i fotball" (Nynorskordboka) seems equally wrong as "spille i fotball".

My impression is that "trene" is regularly used transitively today, when we talk about different sports (trene fotball, trene slalåm, trene løping), and that "trene spinning" fits this pattern. If we talk about specific skills within a sport, we use "på": "trene på straffespark" (but I would not be surprised to hear "trene straffespark").

For example, "trene i slalåm" has only four Google hits, and three of them are from dictionaries. "Trene slalåm" is more often used, for example: "Jeg føler jeg ligger ganske bra an, men jeg har ikke rukket å trene slalåm ennå, sier Kjetil Jansrud til NRK i forkant av dagens kombinasjonskonkurranse."
    – Har ikke rukket å trene slalåm

I should add that the example "trene opp musklene" from NAOB is a special case. It is usually used when you have to train to regain your former strength after an illness or injury. If that is not the case, people use expressions as "trene lårmusklene".