Norwegian: ansattrabatt

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi! It's me again with something I don't understand in the series Unge Lovende

Elise has gone to see Ole in the bar where he works. They're not together but they have casual sex from time to time, when they're not involved in relationships.
She lowers her voice when she says the word, and he blinks at her in an exaggerated way. They laugh, it's a joke. My English translation says "hook me up with a staff discount" but I don't get it.
I hope you can help me!
Thanks in advance.

O: Men hva gjør du da?
E: Du sa atte du kunne hooke meg opp med ansattrabatt
O: Ansattrabatt
E: Ja
E: Går det bra?
O: Ja, blunk blunk
E: Du må ikke få slag, hehe
O: Okey

• Bokfinken

Norwegian
    The English translation - staff discount - is correct. Ansatt = employee (staff), rabatt = discount.

There's not enough context here to know what "hooke meg opp" (hook me up) refers to. What do they say just before this dialogue?

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks a lot. At first because of "hook me up with" I thought it was some sex joke but now it's obvious it's about getting cheap drinks from him.
    Thanks again!

raumar

Norwegian
    I would also guess that sex is involved in some way.

I'm assuming hook me up means the same as in English like give me a discount or even something free
    The problem with Kloie's explanation is that I don't think most Norwegians are familiar with this meaning.

kloie

English
    I would also guess that sex is involved in some way.

The problem with Kloie's explanation is that I don't think most Norwegians are familiar with this meaning.
    Yes, you are correct, it could also mean to have sexual intercourse with someone, among other things.

winenous

English - British
    Maybe I am being thick here, but if it is a sexual reference I still don't understand the "med absattrabatt" bit, and why it is so funny.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thank you everyone!
    I already handed up the episode. Too bad if I mistranslated it, if they're not satisfied, maybe next time they'll give me a full translation, and explanations about the original script (puns, references, hidden meanings...) These working conditions are disrespectful to everyone, the "translator", the series itself, the French audience... But maybe they don't care!
    You've been very helpful, and I thank you all very much! Hade! ;)

< Previous | Next >