Norwegian : Bjorgmann

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Shaouva, Jun 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Shaouva Member

French
    Hei alle sammen,
    Just a question out a curiosity, I just discovered that Kristoff, the male protagonist from the Disney movie Frozen, have a surname which is Bjorgmann.
    So 1st question : Does it sound Norwegian to you ?
    (I purposely added an extra -n at the end as Disney writes it with only one)

And I also read that the "bjorg" from his surname would mean "help/salvation" but I looked through different dictionaries and couldn't confirm that.
    So here's my 2nd questions : Does it ring a bell to you ? Is it an ancient word ? A foreign word (wrong country Disney) ? or just a made-up word that somehow sounds Norwegian ?

We all know that Disney is not the best at accuracy but if by chance, it would actually meant something, then it would be a cool fact about this movie ^^.

Takk for hjelpen guys !

2. Göte Member

Sweden
    Swedish
    Try "bjørg" instead of "bjorg". The first explanation in Nynorskordboka is "help/salvage"

http://www.nob-ordbok.uio.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?OPP=+bjørg&ant_bokmaal=5&ant_nynorsk=5&nynorsk=+&ordbok=nynorsk

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bjørg#Norwegian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björg

It's not common name in Sweden, only 341 women have it as their first name.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  3. Shaouva Member

French
    Tusen takk for hjelpen !

I did look up for Bjørg too, but for some reason I set my mind on bokmål only and forgot about nynorsk.

I guess Disney here tried to go with a name that would mean the helping man / the saving man / the savior, and tried to put it in a Nordic way.
    (Well if we follow the story, he would technically be more of a the helping man instead of the saving man, but that's another matter. Plus the fact that he's supposed to be a Sami, so I guess he should have had a totally different name to stick with this feature, or maybe his family name comes from the trolls he's been raised by... ) Well this is not the place to talk about the movie and its intentions.

All of this is very interesting.
    Thanks for the answer and the many clues ! *thumb up*

4. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    Göte is correct in pointing out that "bjørg" originally meant "salvation", but most Norwegians would not be able to see that connection today. In modern Norwegian, "Bjørg" is just a feminine given name -- I think it is more common in Norway than in Sweden. I was surprised to see "bjørg" in Nynorskordboka. The word may exist, but it is obscure. If Disney's intention was to use a name that would mean "the saving man", they must have consulted a linguist.

Even though "bjørg" is a genuine Old Norse word, "Bjørgmann" still seems to be a made-up word. The problem is the suffix "-mann" or "-man". Most Norwegian traditional surnames are either patronyms (with the suffix "-sen") or farm names. I don't think you can find any farm names ending with "-man" or "-mann". However, "Bjørgan" is a farm name and a common surname.

There are Norwegians with "-mann" or "-man" surnames, but the ancestors of these Norwegians have probably immigrated at some point. I tried to search the online telephone directory. I found no Bjorgman, Bjorgmann, Bjørgman or Bjørgmann, but there were some Bjørkmann, Bjørkman, Borgmann etc.

5. Svenke

Svenke Senior Member

Hordaland
    Norwegian
    raumar is right that bjørg is little known in modern Norwegian.
    I'm a Nynorsk writer and dialect speaker, but I cannot remember ever having seen or heard that word used.

However, the related verb berge 'save (from harm)' is not uncommon.

Svenke

6. Lizzie Bjørgan New Member

english
    Hello, I'm Lizzie Bjorgan.

Perhaps they were trying to use a real Norwegian last name but didn't want to make to similar to the last that they used, because if you take out the "m" and extra "n" then you are left with Bjorgan which also happens to be my last name which can be spelled with two "n"s but that spelling is not very common in Canada at least, Bjorgan can also be spelled with an "e" after the "o" like this Bjoergan