Norwegian: Crowns or Kroner?

Heleatunda

English—America
I’m translating a small Norwegian article into English, and the author mentions that he purchased something for kr. 3,25. So I’m wondering, should I write that as 3.25 crowns or 3.25 kroner? A lot of sources I’ve seen have kept it as kroner, but they are mostly informal.

• Ben Jamin

Polish
    The official form used by Norwegians while speaking about the Norwegian currency in English is kroner. Crowns is confusing, and mostly used by people that are not familiar with the official translation. By the way, there was once a coin in Britain called crown, if I am not mistaken, but this was not a name of currency.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I have only ever seen kroner in modern uses in English. Crowns is still sometimes used for the Czech koruny, but not for the Scandinavian ones.

winenous

English - British
    Agree with the above. I have heard kroner translated as crowns, but I think mainly by Norwegians trying to be helpful.

Yes, the crown was a British coin, worth 5 shillings or a quarter of a pound.

HorationN

English
    I’m translating a small Norwegian article into English, and the author mentions that he purchased something for kr. 3,25. So I’m wondering, should I write that as 3.25 crowns or 3.25 kroner? A lot of sources I’ve seen have kept it as kroner, but they are mostly informal.
    use this format for currency notation:
    NOK 3.25

Sepia

High German/Danish
    One should not translate "krone"/"kroner" - You don't translate "lira", "yen", "peso", or "dollar" either.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    One should not translate "krone"/"kroner" - You don't translate "lira", "yen", "peso", or "dollar" either.
    It is valid only of English. In other languages it is common to translate currency names if they have a translatable meaning (e.g. pound, krone, gulden, etc.). For example "pound sterling" in Spanish is "libra esterlina".

Last edited:

Sepia

High German/Danish
    It is valid only of English. In other languages it is common to translate currency names if they have a translatable meaning (e.g. pound, krone, gulden, etc.). For example "pound sterling" in Spanish is "libra esterlina".
    They probably all have translatable meanings, but in Spanish even banking/currency exchange media exchange some and some not. It is extremely inconsequent.

< Previous | Next >