Norwegian/Danish: Kyst

greenridge.road

usa english
Hello, I have an ancestor that was aboard a ship and the ship's master list contained the name of the passenger, place of origin if known, and also another column that listed any other information available about that person. Next to my ancestor's name was the word Kyst. I wondered if it was possibly an occupation. He was from a part of Germany that is now modern day France. So, I thought maybe it would be that dictionary. I searched German/English and French/English and it turned up no known results. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

• Lakeview

Canada - English
    greenridge.road said:
    Hello, I have an ancestor that was aboard a ship and the ship's master list contained the name of the passenger, place of origin if known, and also another column that listed any other information available about that person. Next to my ancestor's name was the word Kyst. I wondered if it was possibly an occupation. He was from a part of Germany that is now modern day France. So, I thought maybe it would be that dictionary. I searched German/English and French/English and it turned up no known results. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Hi g.r,

This question might be totally irrelevant, but I'll ask it anyway: Was the ship flying the flag of a Scandinavian country, or did it have Scandinavian crew? 'Kyst' means coast in Danish and Norwegian. What that might have to do with your ancestor, I have no idea :eek: . But I thought I'd toss it out.

P.S. You posted in a Spanish forum ;) .

greenridge.road

usa english
    Lakeview said:
    Hi g.r,

This question might be totally irrelevant, but I'll ask it anyway: Was the ship flying the flag of a Scandinavian country, or did it have Scandinavian crew? 'Kyst' means coast in Danish and Norwegian. What that might have to do with your ancestor, I have no idea :eek: . But I thought I'd toss it out.

P.S. You posted in a Spanish forum ;) .
    My reference states voyage departs Rotterdam and arrives Philadelphia by way of Dover on Sept 27, 1740. Ship "The Lydia". Thanks for any help.