Norwegian: deres

littlepond

Hindi
Hei!

I was reading an episode description from the TV series "Side om side", and I was surprised to read this sentence:

"Maria og Jonas vil integreres i sitt nye nabolag"

Why not "deres nabolag"? Maria and Jonas are a couple, so they have been taken as one entity, is that why it's "sitt" instead of "deres"?

Thanks!

• justous

English
    Hej :)

This is because Maria og Jonas are the subject of the sentence. If you said deres here, it could technically be interpreted as meaning that they will integrate in *someone else's* nabolag.

This can be important sometimes... for example:

Han sover i leiligheten sin - He is sleeping in his *own* apartment.

Han sover i leiligheten hans - He is sleeping in his (someone else's... perhaps a friend's?) apartment

Let me know if this makes sense :)

Edit: Also, for reference, sin/sit is only used for singular nouns in Danish... just in case that is useful for you :)

littlepond

Hindi
    Oh, thanks a lot, yes, makes a lot of sense. So plural agreement for "sitt" remains "sitt"? That is, it would be "Maria og Jonas vil integreres i sitt nye nabolag" and also "Maria vil integreres i sitt nye nabolag", even though Maria is one person, while Maria and Jonas are two persons? No change with respect to number of people?
    (Of course, if the object had been plural, I guess it would have been "sine"?)

justous

English
    Oh, thanks a lot, yes, makes a lot of sense. So plural agreement for "sitt" remains "sitt"? That is, it would be "Maria og Jonas vil integreres i sitt nye nabolag" and also "Maria vil integreres i sitt nye nabolag", even though Maria is one person, while Maria and Jonas are two persons? No change with respect to number of people?
    (Of course, if the object had been plural, I guess it would have been "sine"?)
    Yes, exactly right :D:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >