Norwegian: difference between "hver" and "enhver"

littlepond

Hindi
Hei alle sammen! I am unable to comprehend the difference between "hver" (when it acts as adjective) and "enhver". Don't both of them mean "every, each"? Are they synonymous then?

In a promotional material, I came across this sentence: "Manhattan har noe for enhver tenkelig smak og budsjett." Can one replace "enhver" here with "hver"?

Thanks in advance!

• Svenke

Norwegian
    No, they are not quite synonymous, but the difference is a bit hard to explain.

The typical translation of English each, every is hver.
    Enhver can often be tranlated with any (whatsoever).

Examples:
    Jeg snakker med henne hver dag 'I speak to her every day'
    Enhver dag kan bli en fest 'Any day may become a party'

Gi hver gjest ei rose 'Give each guest a rose'
    Ønsk enhver velkommen 'Wish anyone welcome (whoever may appear)'

Det bur en familie i hvert hus 'There is a family living in each house'
    Det kan bu mennesker i ethvert hus 'People may live in any (kind of) house'

raumar

Norwegian
    "Manhattan har noe for enhver tenkelig smak og budsjett." Can one replace "enhver" here with "hver"?
    By the way, this sentence does not seem quite right. "Budsjett" is a neuter word, so "enhver budsjett" is incorrect. It should rather be "enhver tenkelig smak og ethvert tenkelig budsjett".

(Or should it be "tenkelige" - at least if you replace "enhver" with "hver"? I don't really know. I agree with Svenke's post #27 in this other thread, and I suppose I belong to the group that don't have clear preferences: Norwegian: Adjectives after hvert/hver )

littlepond

Hindi
    Thanks, @raumar, for pointing this out! I had copied the sentence as is from the promotional material. Is there a better way then to say "any imaginable taste and budget"? Maybe replace "budsjett" with some masculine noun?

raumar

Norwegian
    Maybe replace "budsjett" with some masculine noun?
    Yes, a masculine or feminine noun would work. "Lommebok", for example.

EDITED: It is an easy mistake to make. Because there are other words between "enhver" and "budsjett", it is easy to overlook that the two words don't match.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >