Norwegian: Drøye noe

sjiraff

English
Hi everyone,
I was just reading / listening to a script in Norwegian and there's a conversation where the characters are talking about how bad the weather is in the city, and one of the characters says:-

Du burde ha drøyd'n til høsten med å komme til byen. (written colloquelly like "drøyd'n".

I know that this means, "You should have waited to come to the city in autumn", but why is it "drøyde den"? I would have thought that's wrong since he's talking about "Du burde ventet med -det å komme til byen- til høsten"?

Thanks for any clarification on this one.

• raumar

Norwegian
    Hi,

this is informal speech, but not incorrect in my opinion. But the " 'n" would have been wrong if he had used the verb vente, instead of drøye.

Let's use a simpler sentence as example. Instead of "Vi venter litt", it is possible to say "Vi drøyer det litt", or (informally) "Vi drøyer'n litt".

This will probably make you even more confused about the use of "den" and "det", but that is just how we say it. At least I do; there may be some variation between dialects. I am not sure why it works this way, but the reason may be that there aren't any contracted versions of "det".

< Previous | Next >