Norwegian: fødsel < ri for ri >

< Previous | Next >

dukaine

English - American
Not sure what this means. In the context below, Småbarnsforeldre is a blog, and they recently posted a blog about the birth of their seventh child.

I think the writer is saying that she's not going to comment on every detail of the other blogger's story, but just wanna make sure.

Jeg orker ikke kommentere Småbarnsforeldre 7. fødsel ri for ri, eller sammenlikne hennes fødsel med mine 5. Jeg tror ikke det vil underholde leserne. Jeg vet ikke.

Thanks!

• Svenke

Norwegian
    Hi, dukaine,

ri means '(birth) contraction', and NOUN for NOUN means 'NOUN by NOUN'.
    So this means something like 'I can't be bothered to comment on the seventh birth of Småbarnsforeldre contraction by contraction, or ...'

Svenke

dukaine

English - American
    Hi, dukaine,

ri means '(birth) contraction', and NOUN for NOUN means 'NOUN by NOUN'.
    So this means something like 'I can't be bothered to comment on the seventh birth of Småbarnsforeldre contraction by contraction, or ...'

Svenke
    Oh, that's helpful. I couldn't find that definition anywhere. Thanks!

winenous

English - British
    Oh, that's helpful. I couldn't find that definition anywhere. Thanks!
    I didn't spot it the first time I looked, but following @Svenke's post, I re-checked Bokmålsordboka | Nynorskordboka, and it is in the first meaning: plutselig smerte . Also note that the nynorsk part of the dictionary mentions føderi.

In the passage, I think it is the explicit context that makes it clear that contractions are being talked about.

dukaine

English - American
    I didn't spot it the first time I looked, but following @Svenke's post, I re-checked Bokmålsordboka | Nynorskordboka, and it is in the first meaning: plutselig smerte . Also note that the nynorsk part of the dictionary mentions føderi.

In the passage, I think it is the explicit context that makes it clear that contractions are being talked about.
    Those dictionaries are tough for me, since my Norwegian is still not that good, which may be why I didn't spot it at first either. All the translations I was getting was translating it as "ride", which is why I thought it might be slang for something like "word for word" or "line by line".

< Previous | Next >