Norwegian: forhud

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi!
This is a dialogue from the series Unge lovende.
Erik is a 9 year old boy, Håvard is his dad and Nenne is his dad's new girlfriend.

Erik: nei, Pappa stopp. Ikke klage når du ikke har bidratt, din forhud
Håvard: Hva var det du kalte meg?
Erik: Forhud
Nenne: Du er jo litt en forhud da. Du er jo litt en forhud.

Is it a common thing to say to someone? I know what the word means and I get it's not usual for a little boy to say that, but I'd like to know if it's a common insult.
Thanks in advance! :)

• Bokfinken

Norwegian
    Haha, no, unless it's a very recent expression. I've never heard it used as an insult before.

I also think that's why Håvard is asking his son to repeat what he just said. Håvard doesn't quite get it the first time, because he doesn't expect to hear that word in this context.

Nenne, on the other hand, seems to find it quite amusing. :)

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thank you!
    Could it be an honest mistake? Like, Erik heard an insult that sounds like it and got it mixed with forhud?

Bokfinken

Norwegian
    I can't think of any common insults that sound anything like it, but as I haven't lived in Norway for a long time, my repertoire of insults may be outdated.

Most likely, Erik is just experimenting with the word to see what happens. Or maybe his schoolmates use it as an insult among themselves. It sounds rather silly, just the kind of thing kids would say and then giggle uncontrollably.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thank you!
    In the meantime I had him say "espèce de gland", which is an existing insult quite close anatomically speaking :D but which sounds strange coming from a little boy. Now I'm wondering if the exact translation in French would have the same effect as in Norwegian...

Bokfinken

Norwegian
    Something that isn't a real insult might indeed work better. It would make the adults' reaction seem more natural.

Håvard isn't sure he heard his son right, because it's a weird expression. Nenne's line implies something like "haha, but after all, you are kind of a ...".

If Erik were using a real insult, they would be more likely to be upset, rather than amused.

What about something like "espèce de prépuce"? It may be close enough to "espèce de gland" to resonate with French speakers, but the mistake makes it funny?

Last edited:

Svenke

Norwegian
    "Haha" from me too! I think this is quite a funny invention by a nine-year-old.
    It's common to use certain words for 'penis' etc. as insults, and the effect of using a closely related but previously non-insulting word is clearly comical.

< Previous | Next >