Norwegian: går i et fossefall

CarlitosMS

Spanish - Spain
Hello everybody:
I would like to know the meaning of this expression.

Våg å gi, slippe våren løs
Sangen bor under alt som frøs
Flommen går i et fossefall
Våren i krystall bryter frem
(Duett, Jan Werner Danielsen & Elisabeth Andreasson)

Greetings
Carlos M.S.

• Cliff Barnes

German
    Dare to give, to let the spring go
    The song lives under all that is frozen
    The river becomes a waterfall
    The spring in crystal breaks free. (I think, crystal here means ice)

I'm not a native speaker, so please correct me if my translation is wrong.

Svenke

Norwegian
    Dare to give, to let the spring go > set spring free
    The song lives under all that is frozen
    The river becomes a waterfall
    The spring in crystal breaks free.
    So this text part basically says: 'Let spring replace winter', which I suppose is metaphorical for letting love become stronger.

Svenke

CarlitosMS

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you very much for your kind answers, but I would also like to know if "går i" is synonym for "bli til" in a more poetic way.

raumar

Norwegian
    "Flommen går i et fossefall" is song lyrics. It works with music, but it is an odd sentence, and not necessarily good Norwegian.

Cliff's translation is good, but I think a more literal translation could be "The flood moves like a waterfall" or "The flood comes like a waterfall". The meaning is clear: during the spring flood the rivers look like waterfalls, with white water -- but it is a strange way to express it. Anyway, you should not think of "går i" as an expression in this context. I think it should have been a comma here: "Flommen går, i et fossefall". At least that is the way they sing it, with a pause after "går".

A small comment to Cliff's translation: "frøs" should be "froze", not "is frozen". It is melting, so it is not frozen any more.

Svenke

Norwegian
    I mostly agree with raumar. In the sentence "Flommen går i et fossefall", "i et fossefall" says how "flommen" looks and moves. There is no meaning of 'becoming' there. As raumar says, the words "går i" do not belong closely together.

Svenke

< Previous | Next >