Norwegian: gåsebarn

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Tinoda, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tinoda New Member

English-American
    I’m writing a story and I have a grandmother character. I want to find a good nickname for the grandchild. I like gåsebarn because it fits her personality but I want to make sure it doesn’t have negative connotations or separate meanings. Can anyone help?

2. JonTve New Member

Norwegian, Australia
    Aldri hørt om Gåsebarn, Gåseunger er planter(blomster), ikke barnebarn.

3. Olaszinhok Senior Member

Central Italy
    Italian
    What does Gåsebarn mean? Does it have anything to do with the English words goose and barn? Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    "Gåsebarn" means "goose child" or "goose children".

It does not have any negative connotations. It does not have any double meaning either, unlike "gåsunger" (as Jon mentions) - which also means "goose children", but in addition the catkins of the pussy willows:

[​IMG]

However, "gåsebarn" would be a rather odd nickname. If this is meant to be a realistic story about a Norwegian grandmother and grandchild, I would try to find something else. A nickname ending with "-barn" is very unusual, maybe because "-barn" is a bit too formal. "-unge" or the definite form "-ungen" would be better for nicknames, except that you get the double meaning with "gåsunge/gåsungen". On the other hand, that double meaning may be an advantage rather than a problem. The willow catkins certainly have positive connotations, so my suggestion would be to go for "gåsungen".

A gender-specific nickname would also be better than "-barn", ending with "-gutt" if it is a boy or "-jente" if it is a girl, or the definite forms "-gutten" or "-jenta".

5. Tinoda New Member

English-American
    Thank you!