Norwegian: Guben

Tim Eldred

English
Has anyone information on the use of the word "Guben" in Norwegian? I was told it was a term on endearment from son to father. This spelling could be phonetic.

• Ben Jamin

Polish
    It is "gubbe" in sing. indefinite form, and "gubben" in definite. In plural it is gubber/gubbene.
    The word means basically "old man", and may be used either derogatively (old, grumpy/fossilized chap), or be a little rough term of endearment about ones husband or father (my old man). Used only about the man, not to adress him.

The usage is exactly the same in Swedish, but in dialect and jokingly we can also say gube. I would not be surprised if this is so in Norwegian also.

There is an iconic Swedish sketch "Guben i låddan" where Martin Ljung says "Det var en gång en gube som bodde i en lådda" in stead of "Det var en gång en gubbe som bodde i en låda".

serbianfan

British English
    but in dialect and jokingly we can also say gube. I would not be surprised if this is so in Norwegian also.
    I've lived all over Norway and heard many dialects, and I can't remember hearing 'guben' rather than 'gubben', but who knows? I found these two sentences on a Google search, but they may just be typos: (under the heading 'drita full gubbe') 'ca 1 time våkner jeg opp og ser at guben står vendt mot komoden' and (separately) 'Så du ville vært villig til å satse på at guben dopa seg litt i helga'.