Norwegian: gutta

littlepond

Hindi
Hei!

I came upon the following sentence while reading an ad of a gym: "For å opprettholde motivasjonen og resultatene, har vi laget flere treningsprogrammer som er tilpasset gutta."

I understood that "gutta" must be meaning something like "for boys/men", but is "gutta" some dative form of "gutt"? I would have thought that it would be "til gutter" here. Do other nouns also have such forms, or it it a relic still used in the language?

Takk på forhånd!

• winenous

English - British
    "Gutta" translates as "the boys", and it an alternative form of "guttene". A Norwegian should confirm, but I think "gutta" is more colloquial.

More commonly I think, the "a" form of the definitive plural is also used in "bena" and "barna". In fact, until you reminded me of "gutta", I thought all examples were single syllable and neuter.

raumar

Norwegian
    Hei!

Yes, it's simply the definite plural form: gutta = guttene. It is not correct according to dictionary standards, but widely used in many Eastern Norwegian dialects, including Oslo. It is even used in Western Oslo, where they traditionally avoid all kinds of a-endings.

According to official standards for written Bokmål, a-endings in definite plural nouns are only accepted in neuter words (but not limited to single syllable words). But "gutta" is much used, especially in some set phrases. For example "å være en av gutta" (to be accepted as 'one of the boys/lads'), or "gutta på skauen" (the resistance during World War II). I don't think a language editor would replace "gutta" with "guttene" in such expressions.

You don't need a preposition between "tilpasset" and the noun. You can add "til" ("tilpasset til gutta"), but that's not necessary.

< Previous | Next >