Norwegian: ha lyst til/på / ville gjerne

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Utopian Universe, Oct 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Utopian Universe

Utopian Universe Member

Florida
    English
    I understand the former is used to express something you would like to do, but then how's the other phrase different?
    For example, which one is correct/more natural to say:
    1. Jeg vil gjerne å gå til Norge
    2. Jeg har lyst til å gå til Norge
    My guess is that har lyst is the equivalent of Lust haben in German, and is used when you feel like doing something, not necessarily in a formal/polite setting. I'd appreciate if any of you guys could clarify this. Takk på forhand!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    Welcome to the forum!

There are a couple of mistakes in your sentences. In sentence 1, you should delete the infinitive marker å. And "" means "walk" in most cases. You should use "dra" or "reise", unless you actually are within walking distance from the Norwegian border. :)

When this is corrected, both sentences are correct and natural, and neither of them are especially formal.

The meaning is almost the same, but you are right: "feel like" is a good translation of "ha lyst til".

"Jeg vil dra til Norge" may be a wish, but it may also be a demand. Adding "gjerne" makes it more polite.

3. Utopian Universe

Utopian Universe Member

Florida
    English
    Thanks raumar! :)
    And what about Jeg vil til Norge? Is that sentence structure good enough when simply talking about wanting to do something?

4. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    Yes, that's fine. If the context is clear, you can omit "reise/dra". In a conversation where people are discussing their holiday plans, for example, "Jeg vil til Norge" is probably the most natural way to express this. Expressions like "Jeg vil hjem" (I want to go home) or "Jeg vil ut" (I want to get out) are also commonly used.

5. Angelis

Angelis New Member

French
    Hi, I'm also learning norwegian and I had a question concerning the 'gjerne' sentence. In my mind they were quite different because I thought that: Jeg vil gjerne reise til Norge would rather be translated as "I will gladly go to Norway" implying that the person speaking had been asked out or something. But from your answer I understand that it should be translated as "I would like to travel to Norway" which doesn't necessarily mean she's been asked out, she could be thinking out loud for exemple. So my question is how do you say "I will gladly go to [place]" compared to "I would like to go to [place]" and even "I want to go to [place]" (assuming there is actually a difference).

Takk

6. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    Hi Angelis,

This can probably be expressed in many different ways, but here is my attempt:

I will gladly go to Norway - Jeg kan gjerne reise til Norge
    I would like to go to Norway - Jeg vil gjerne reise til Norge
    I want to go to Norway - Jeg vil reise til Norge

As you have understood, "vil" expresses (in this context) a wish to do something. If you replace "vil" with "kan", it becomes clear the person is willing and able to go, if somebody asks them.

If you remove "gjerne" from "Jeg vil gjerne reise til Norge", the sentence becomes more determined, less tentative.

7. Angelis

Angelis New Member

French
    Tusen takk Raumar, I understood well!

8. myšlenka Senior Member

Norwegian
    What about a modal-less version?
    Jeg reiser gjerne til Norge.

9. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    That's even better, myšlenka!

My suggestion might be a bit too hesitant.

10. QBU Senior Member

Renac, France
    France, French
    what about
    Jeg skall gjerne reise til Norge?
    can you answer that if you have been asked?

11. Ífaradà Member

Norwegian/Yoruba
    No. The affirmative sentence would simply be: Jeg reiser gjerne til Norge.

12. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    For ehat it's worth: at have lyst til exists and is very common in Danish. However, it is more about preferences or emotions than about intentions.

13. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    That is a good way to summarize it. It is the same in Norwegian.