Norwegian: imponert

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi!

I didn't expect it so soon but I'm back with another season of the Norwegian Series Unge lovende to translate into French (via an English translation of the script)

Here is something I don't get. Alex has invited her new boyfriend to celebrate Christmas at her mothers'. She asks him what he knows about her.

KE: Hun har ikke lyst til å dø alene
A: Det kan du ikke si til henne
KE: Jeg tror ikke jeg skal si det til henne, noen av disse tingene
A Nei, ok, nei
KE: Hun har ikke støtta dattera si
A: Det kan du heller ikke si
KE: Også liker hun pepsi max
A: Mhm. Shit, jeg er imponert
KE: Når jeg ikke ser på deg så tror jeg du ble imponert

At the end, he rises his eyebrows and she laughs.
I really can't make any sense of this. Can you help me?
Thanks in advance! :)

• Ben Jamin

Polish
    Everyday's smalltalk is often nonsensical. Just translate it as it is. (I believe that you are impressed when I don't look at you).
    Will it be acceptable French to say "Je crois que tu es impressioné quand je te ne regarde pas"?

winenous

English - British
    It makes sense if A's last line is sarcastic and it shows in her face. It sounds like KE is struggling to find topics for conversation with A's mother, and her mother's liking for Pepsi Max provides neither much scope for conversation nor great insight, and thus is hardly an impressive topic.

In this case, maybe r translates to English better as if?

raumar

Norwegian
    It makes sense if A's last line is sarcastic and it shows in her face. It sounds like KE is struggling to find topics for conversation with A's mother, and her mother's liking for Pepsi Max provides neither much scope for conversation nor great insight, and thus is hardly an impressive topic.

In this case, maybe r translates to English better as if?
    I agree. This is how I read it, too. A's last line is clearly sarcastic. KE's last line also seems like a kind of sarcasm. With "så tror jeg du ble imponert", he apparently pretends to believe that A's sarcastic statement actually is sincerely meant -- but he undermines his own pretence with "Når jeg ikke ser på deg".

In any case, Ben Jamin's advice makes sense:
    Just translate it as it is.

winenous

English - British
    Yes - I too agree the sentence can be translated "as it is". The context is not hugely important for the translation.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thank you very much for your replies, that helped a lot!
    I can't "just translate" things as they are, even a nonsensical dialogue has to make some sort of sense. At least sense as regards the dialogue itself, what's going on between the characters. And of course it's very difficult with a language you don't master, you always fear you'll miss a pun or a reference. ;)

< Previous | Next >