Norwegian: kortreist

< Previous | Next >

dukaine

English - American
"Første turen var svært kortreist, og gikk ikke som planlagt for min del."

The person is talking about two trips she took with a friend. When I translate it as a sentence, it's translated as "short". When I do the word by itself, it's translated "locally". Does it mean both things? I couldn't find it in the dictionaries, and Google searches support the local translation.

Last edited:
  • raumar

Norwegian
    A literal translation of "kortreist" would be "short-travelled". It is the standard Norwegian word for "locally produced".

Originally, it was mainly used about food ("kortreist mat" = "locally produced food"). Today, "kortreist" is increasingly used in many other contexts, with the growing awareness of climate change and the need to avoid unnecessary transport.

You'll find it in this dictionary:
    kortreist - Det Norske Akademis ordbok

dukaine

English - American
    A literal translation of "kortreist" would be "short-travelled". It is the standard Norwegian word for "locally produced".

Originally, it was mainly used about food ("kortreist mat" = "locally produced food"). Today, "kortreist" is increasingly used in many other contexts, with the growing awareness of climate change and the need to avoid unnecessary transport.

You'll find it in this dictionary:
    kortreist - Det Norske Akademis ordbok
    Thanks so much, and for the dictionary link! This is very helpful.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    The change of the meaning is a typical example of how erratic the "natural development" of the language is. Using "kortreist" for a trip is an obvious tautology and completely meaningless, but "it is just so". Another example is "the prices are getting cheaper".

dukaine

English - American
    The change of the meaning is a typical example of how erratic the "natural development" of the language is. Using "kortreist" for a trip is an obvious tautology and completely meaningless, but "it is just so". Another example is "the prices are getting cheaper".
    Oh, okay, good to know.

< Previous | Next >