Norwegian: kverdagslivet

< Previous | Next >
  • Alxmrphi

UK English
    Do you mean 'hver-' (pronounced kver?)
    Hverdags means familiar / colloquial and liv is life, et is the neuter definite article (the)
    So depending on the sentence in Norwegian we might or might not include the definite article, as a general translation I think "ordinary / informal life", maybe "colloquial / familair life", it does really depend on the context.

But that's my guess, wait for a native to confirm though.

oskhen

Norwegian
    Do you mean 'hver-' (pronounced kver?)
    Hverdags means familiar / colloquial and liv is life, et is the neuter definite article (the)
    So depending on the sentence in Norwegian we might or might not include the definite article, as a general translation I think "ordinary / informal life", maybe "colloquial / familair life", it does really depend on the context.

But that's my guess, wait for a native to confirm though.
    Something like that. "the daily life", perhaps. But it's "hverdagslivet" and not propounced "kver". But in nynorsk (New Norwegian), the Bokmål "hver" is "kvar", so it might be that which is meant.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I knew I shouldn't have assumed. "hver" is pronounced like "kver" in Icelandic so I thought litG had heard 'kver' and wrote it like it sounds, but its spelling was actually 'hver'.. but as I suspected, I was wrong! :)

vestfoldlilja

Norwegian
    From my dictionary:

Hverdagsliv/kvardagsliv is everyday life.

And some similar words:

Hverdager = weekdays.

Hverdagsbruk = for everyday use. So it’s everything you usually do during a normal week.

Hverdagsklær = everyday clothes

Hverdagslig = everyday, ordinary; humdrum

Hverdagsmenneske = ordinary, commonplace person

:)

< Previous | Next >