Norwegian: more than I love you

luckynoseven

English
Hello,

I've heard (in a Norwegian bar) that there's a Norwegian phrase that means something like 'I love you more / forever' or is more meaningful than the traditional 'I love you'. Also told there's no direct English translation available so it's peaked my interest and I would love to hear if anyone has heard anything like this?

I don't think they were referring to the standard phrases such as:-
Jeg elsker deg (Bokmaal)
Eg elskar deg (Nynorsk)
Jeg er kjempeglad i deg
Jeg er så glad i deg

Look forward to your help.

Thx.

• dreamineyes

Norway- Norwegian
    I think what they meant is "jeg elsker deg" is a very strong and meaningful phrase in norwegian.
    You wouldnt say it to your mother or someone who's just your friend.. you'd say "jeg er gla i deg".
    Basically you have to be in love (for a while) to say "jeg elsker deg" to a person.
    On the contrary though, u can say "jeg elsker iskrem!" = I love ice cream!
    Which is kind of weird..

hope that helped.

if not just ask..

;)
    K

oskhen

Norwegian
    I think what they meant is "jeg elsker deg" is a very strong and meaningful phrase in norwegian.
    You wouldnt say it to your mother or someone who's just your friend.. you'd say "jeg er gla i deg".
    Basically you have to be in love (for a while) to say "jeg elsker deg" to a person.
    Which is kind of weird..

hope that helped.

if not just ask..

;)
    K

It's mostly right that "jeg elsker deg" is stronger than "I love you", but you don't hear it only between people in love, do you? I suppose one, especially a child could say it to a pet or a humanoid/animal toy, for instance. Or a parent to the child. (or maybe to a friend, if one is drunk...). Though perhaps it's more common to say that someone elsker a child/toy/pet/what have you when talking about the feeling, rather than actually saying the sentence "jeg elsker deg", since it is kind of... loaded, so to speak.

karla123

spanish-nicaragua
    Which is kind of weird..

hope that helped.

if not just ask..

;)
    K

My boyfriend told me that "Jeg er glad I deg" means "I like you very much". I dont know why he told me that instead of the real meaning. I was thinking that maybe he does not want me to find out what his real feelings are. Besides, i found in 10 different articles that it means i love you in low key, because "Jeg elsker deg" means i love you too but when you are truly in love with that person.

So, please tell me if he is right. (He's Norwegian)

raumar

Norwegian
    First, as others have explained, the meaning of "elske" in Norwegian is more narrow than "love" in English.

Second -- maybe as a consequence of this -- the meaning of "være glad i" is quite broad. A general translation of "Jeg er glad i deg" could be "I am fond of you". But it can also be translated as "I like you very much", or a low-key version of "I love you", as you write. I don't think there is any single, correct English translation of "Jeg er glad i deg". The translation depends on the context, and also on the person saying it.

As you may have noticed, many Norwegians don't like strong, emotional words. Many of us prefer understatement and down-to-earth expressions. Some Norwegians avoid the word "elske", even when they actually are in love with someone. Other Norwegians are less afraid of emotional language. There may be variations between men and women, between regions, and between individuals.

NorwegianNYC

Norwegian
    This is a quagmire. Norwegian has TWO ways of saying "I love you". One is 'jeg elsker deg' and the other is 'jeg er glad i deg'. No matter who you ask in Norway, they will "rank" them by sincerity, but the problem is that this will vary depending on where in Norway you are.
    Some places "jeg er glad i deg" outranks "jeg elsker deg", and other places it is vice versa.

mexerica feliz

português nordestino
    In Western Norway ''eg er glad i deg'' is stronger than ''eg elskar deg''
    which is the opposite to the situation in Oslo and in English:

I love you = eg er glad i deg
    I love ice cream = eg elskar is

In Nynorsk-core area ''Eg er glad i deg'' is the best way to say ''I love you''.
    ''Eg elskar deg'' you see mostly when Bokmaal-using people are trying to use Nynorsk (in high school and while doing Nynorsk-subtitling of foreign sitcoms on NRK).