Norwegian: oppnår alltid

littlepond

Hindi
Hei alle sammen!

In a recent promotional post by an airlines company, I came upon this sentence (I have removed identifying references of the airline from the sentence):

"Du får 20 000 statusbyggende [frequent flyer programme name]-poeng hvert år, og du oppnår alltid minst [frequent flyer programme name] Silver."

I am confused about the usage of "oppnår" here, which seems to mean "achieve, gain, obtain". I can understand that one can reach/attain the "Silver" category, but because "alltid" is also there, I would have expected a word meaning "retain" instead (i.e., "and you will at least retain the Silver membership level for ever", rather than "and you will obtain the Silver membership level for ever"), as attaining something always sounds a bit strange.

But maybe there is another meaning or parsing of the word "oppnår"? Thanks in advance for any suggestions over how to interpret this sentence.

• raumar

Norwegian
    Hei Littlepond!

You have understood "oppnår" correctly, but your problem seems to be with "alltid". It doesn't mean "for ever" in this sentence, but "always" or "in any case".

My translation: "... and you will always reach at least the Silver membership level." In other words: you are not guaranteed to get to the Gold level, but you are at least guaranteed to reach the Silver level.

Einherje

Norwegian
    I agree with Raumar, "always" is the best translation here, but "alltid" may also be translated to "all the time" or "every time" to keep the time part.

"for alltid" = "for ever"

littlepond

Hindi
    Thanks @raumar and @Einherje. My problem still persists: how can one always reach somewhere (unless the goalpost changes)? More specifically, one has reached the Silver level, let's say, then if one is always at it, one always retains it, isn't it, rather than "reaching" it? Reaching it means that the person dropped to some inferior level (let's say Bronze) in the meantime. Maybe I am overthinking it though, and maybe the person does drop down, and then at the end of the year goes up to the Silver level, this happening repeatedly every year-end.

raumar

Norwegian
    This sentence does not say that you always will remain at the Silver level. I suppose that it is possible to drop down to Bronze, but that is maybe not the main point.

The point here is that "alltid" does not refer to the situation of a single person, but every person who fulfil some specified criterion (which presumably are described in a previous sentence). Your sentence says that every time somebody fulfils this criterion, he or she will be guaranteed to reach at least the Silver membership level.

< Previous | Next >