Norwegian: oppvekstsvilkår

• IPNinVT

English - US
    Oops sorry, I'm new in this forum and learning the ropes...
    Translating a Norwegian article on teacher education.
    The Norwegian sentence is: Et større fokus på faglig kunnskap har gått på bekostning av pedagogisk kompetanse og kunnskap om barn og unges oppvekstsvilkår.

justous

English
    Hi :) Welcome to the forum. Perhaps the word you are looking for is "upbringing"? Let me know what you think. Perhaps I could think of a more technical-sounding word to fit the context here

raumar

Norwegian
    No, "upbringing" would not be right. Oppvekstvilkår refers to the living conditions of the child; the environment that the child grows up in. For example in a rich or a poor family, in an well-educated or less educated family, in the inner city or on a farm, and so on.

My dictionary translates "oppvekstvilkår" as "growing up conditions", so I suppose that would be the best choice. But as native English speakers, you know better than me how that expression works in English.

justous

English
    No, "upbringing" would not be right. Oppvekstvilkår refers to the living conditions of the child; the environment that the child grows up in. For example in a rich or a poor family, in an well-educated or less educated family, in the inner city or on a farm, and so on.

My dictionary translates "oppvekstvilkår" as "growing up conditions", so I suppose that would be the best choice. But as native English speakers, you know better than me how that expression works in English.
    "Growing up conditions" is a more accurate, it just sounds a bit unusual. I suggest a translation something like this:

"pedagogisk kompetanse og kunnskap om barn og unges oppvekstsvilkår."

"pedagogical competency and understanding of the conditions in which children and youth grow up."

This is one of those things I find difficult to translate into English. Maybe there's someone out there whose English isn't as rusty as mine?

raumar

Norwegian
    Yes, something like that would work. I think you're right: rephrasing the sentence is probably better than trying to translate that specific concept.

IPNinVT

English - US
    Thank you all for your responses and suggestions! I agree that rephrasing is probably the best way to go, similar to the suggested version, e.g. understanding the conditions that children are growing up in OR understanding children's living conditions.

< Previous | Next >