Norwegian: pasive voice with ha or være

jedox

Spanish - Chile
I have found sentences such as 'jeg er blitt spurt om..' and 'jeg har blitt invitert til..' and I'm not sure when do I have to use 'være' or 'ha' before the 'blitt + perfect' structure in passive voice sentence
For example, to say.. 'I have being mentioned'.. is 'jeg er blitt nevnt' or 'jeg har blitt nevnt'? is there a difference between both? do some verbs use one verb instead of the other like in german past tense?

• winenous

English - British
    Sorry, I thought you could maybe understand it without too much trouble. Here's a summary:

Basically, for movement verbs (e.g. kommet, gått, reist ) or transition verbs (e.g. blitt, begynt, stilnet, bleknet og lignende) you can use either være or ha.

Apart from that, the article discusses some regional variations in the use of one verb or the other, and possible nuances in meaning.

It also gives a couple of usages where ha is preferable.

1) When an active verb is qualified afterwards (sorry - probably a poor translation of the grammatical terms)
    Hun har blitt syk hver gang hun har smakt på min hjemmelagde vin.
    Hun har kommet hit ofte.
    Hun har gått langt.

2) When making a hypothetical statement in the perfect infinitive (apologies again!)
    Jeg ville ha blitt far hvis jeg kunne.
    Farskap ser ut til å ha blitt en fiks idé.

My personal conclusion as a Norwegian learner is: You can't really go far wrong if you always use ha :)

< Previous | Next >