Norwegian sentence type I'm unfarmilliar with

< Previous | Next >

sjiraff

English
I have noticed this kind of sentence maybe once or twice, here's an example:

"Han var den første som har gjort alvor av det."

Is this just like, "å ta på alvor"? Or does anyone know what kind of rule this is, I have seen similar expressions but I'm not sure if they can be compared for example "å gjøre narr av noen" or "Hvor skal jeg gøre av meg?".

Is this a unique expression or could "alvor" be replaced with something else?

Thanks.

• Ben Jamin

Polish
    I have noticed this kind of sentence maybe once or twice, here's an example:

"Han var den første som har gjort alvor av det."

Is this just like, "å ta på alvor"? Or does anyone know what kind of rule this is, I have seen similar expressions but I'm not sure if they can be compared for example "å gjøre narr av noen" or "Hvor skal jeg gøre av meg?".

Is this a unique expression or could "alvor" be replaced with something else?

Thanks.
    There is nothing special about the sentence, it's only the idiom "å gjøre alvor av det" used in a normal sentence "Han var den første som ...".
    You can make many sentences of this kind, like:
    Han var den første som har
    - fløyet over Atlanteren.
    - løpt 100 m på mindre enn 10 sekunder.
    - motsatt seg sjefen sin i denne bedriften.
    "Å gjøre alvor av det" means: "To to take it seriously and do it" or "not only talk about something but also do it".

sjiraff

English
    Oh, like å ta noe på alvor? I have never seen it before until now, is this a way to describe doing something where you could use another word instead of "alvor" or is it just an expression on its own? Like "å gjøre ___ av noe". (instead of alvor)

Thanks!

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Oh, like å ta noe på alvor? I have never seen it before until now, is this a way to describe doing something where you could use another word instead of "alvor" or is it just an expression on its own? Like "å gjøre ___ av noe". (instead of alvor)

Thanks!
    "å ta noe på alvor" means "to take something seriously". It does not necessarily mean taking any action (but it can), it is rather the attitude which is involved, while "å gjøre alvor av det" means to act.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    As Ben Jamin has explained above, gjøre alvor av [noe] – meaning sette noe ut i livet, is an idiomatic expression which, depending on the context, may be translated as ‘act upon [his words]’, ‘carry out/implement[a plan]’, ‘put [something] into effect’, ‘to cause [something] to happen’, etc.

There are many idiomatic expressions similar to this one in the Scandinavian languages, but I’m afraid you can’t just use the formula gjøre xxx av [noe/noen] and fill in the blank with anything :).
    This dictionary, esp. #9, lists other idiomatic expressions with gjøre, ref: http://www.nob-ordbok.uio.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?OPP=gjøre&begge=+&ordbok=begge&ava=avato

Bic.

sjiraff

English
    Thanks for the link bicontinental!

And thanks for explaining that, I wasn't sure if it were something like "å ha tilstrekkelig med bensin", where you can replace the adjective with like "å ha ubegrenset med bensin" etc, or if it were just an expression on its own.

Well that's a pretty good expression to remember then, thanks a bunch!

< Previous | Next >