Norwegian: setter sammen de siste brikkene

< Previous | Next >

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi!

This is a line from a Norwegian TV series.

I'd like to know if it's an expression, like "pull oneself together" or if it's about literally gathering stuff. The man speaking is a policeman who has just lived difficult moments (custody, risking his life catching a murderer)

i morgen drar jeg ut på hytta og setter sammen de siste brikkene, så jeg får kommet meg tilbake på jobb snart.

Thanks in advance!

• raumar

Norwegian
    Hi!

It is an expression and used figuratively, but the meaning is "put together the last pieces" (of a puzzle).

It looks like parts of the mystery is solved, but some elements remain to be solved, and he's going to his cabin to do that. Does that fit your context?

Ben Jamin

Polish
    If the expression setter sammen de siste brikkene is intended to mean "to solve the puzzle" (which is the usual meaning) then it does not fit with the other part of the sentence "så jeg får kommet meg tilbake på jobb snart" (so as to resume my job soon). If he is a policeman then solving the criminal cases is a part of his job, and there is no dichotomy between solving and job. He is actually working in the cottage. There is no conflict between being back to work and continuing solving the puzzle either.

raumar

Norwegian
    Well, usually there is no such conflict. But I suspect that this is from the TV series Wisting. I watched it, and Kajeetah's description seems familiar. In that series, the policeman was suspended from his job. He had to work unofficially to solve the case, in order to clear his name and get his job back. And he did parts of this work from his cabin by the sea, since he didn't have access to his office.

But it can of course also be a different situation, where this expression is used in a way that differs from the usual meaning. We need the source and some more context here.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks a lot!
    You're right raumar, it is the last episode of Wisting. Sorry for not giving more context, I thought what I gave was enough. But I got the answer I needed. ;)
    Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >