Norwegian: tilbake

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi,

I'd be grateful if you could help me with this one.

A girl has come to the sandwich spot where she used to work before she left for the USA, just to have a chat with the manager (about something that has nothing to do with that place or work)

There are two times when employees see her and welcome her back. But I don't understand if they mean "so you're back in Norway" or "so you're back working here." For more context, the girl has no intention of staying in Norway, she's just waiting for her visa to go back to the USA. And eventually, she will take her job back, but we don't know about that yet.

J1: Hei, så fint at du er tilbake.
E: Jeg er ikke tilbake.
J1: Nei, okei.

J2: Velkommen tilbake.
E: Jeg er ikke tilbake.
J2. Okei.

Thanks in advance!

• Bokfinken

Norwegian
    Hi Kajeetah, without any context indicating the contrary, I would definitely interpret both of these as meaning "back in Norway" (or back in their hometown or village).

The manager would know she wasn't back in employment.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    But the employees don't necessarily know if she's been rehired or is just there for a chat?
    Does her workplace have a uniform? If it does, and she's not wearing it, they probably mean back in Norway.

Ambiguous as it is, do you need to be more specific in the translation?

Kajeetah

French - France
    I have to match the lipsynch. What works well is "tu reviens bosser ici?"
    I found something else in the meantime... with the meaning "back here"

mmmondegreen

English - Canada
    haha this is from unge lovende yes? yes, Im almost certain they mean back in norway, but its technically left ambiguous.

< Previous | Next >